Friday, April 24, 2009

Life Update

Since I last left much has happened…

I said goodbye to the kitty.
I said goodbye to the Daddy.
I said goodbye to the Paulies.
I said goodbye to the Mere and got a nice big ooowwwwwwwwwwww goodbye at the airport (I think it was an all time best).

I’m now on the plane and finally getting caught up on the inches of economic data reading that I have to get through to be prepared for my assignment, and it’s finally hit me --- I’m really excited for the work assignment. Many of you have asked what I’ll be working on, and (in a nutshell) I will be working with one of my colleagues from India to evaluate the attractiveness of the key local industries for foreign investment. At first I was a little overwhelmed by the breadth of the assignment (which requires a lot of research into not just the South African economy and local industries, but also an understanding of the industries in other competing regions of the world). But now that I’m finally getting immersed, I’m not only excited to get started but I have a vision for how to tackle this (which of course involves lots of spreadsheets, data, math and analysis). Anyways, this is a long way of saying that I’m looking forward to the work, as intense as it may be.

Oh yeah, and it’s super cool that there is a power outlet in my seat so that I can play with excel and type this out while flying. Even more super cool is the fact that there is no one in my row so I get to stretch out for 12 hours. And if it could get even more exciting, I opened my computer and found the most wonderful present from the Paulie : ) warm and fuzzies all around!



The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment